Monday, August 22, 2011

Pokemon

I love Pokemon.

I started playing the Blue version way back in Primary School.I remember skipping meals just to save up money to buy a Gameboy Pocket and the game cartridge. While I did not manage to catch 'em all, I had a lot of fun battling with my friends, with most battles ending in a classic final showdown between Mewtwo and Mewtwo. I did play all the subsequent versions, but the original generation of Red Blue and Yellow holds a special place in my heart.

When I saw this Zelda collage that was created to commemorate the 25th anniversary of that series, I was blown away. This is a piece of Zelda fanart that can end all Zelda fanarts. The sheer amount of details that are crafted into this super awesome artwork is staggering. I can really tell that the artist is an avid fan of the series.

Thus, when my digital painting lecturer called for a personal project as our final assignment, I immediately jumped onto the idea of creating a Pokemon fanart that tries to emulate the epic-ness of the Zelda collage. Multi-figure composition is also another field of study that I hope to explore in. I have always found difficulty trying to portray multiple characters within the same space of the painting, and I was hoping to learn a thing or two when constructing this piece of fanart.

I had several ideas of how the collage piece can look. The original one was to place the characters in a fashion similar to that of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. I remember reading about the Zelda Collage on Kotaku, and one reader commented that if there was a St. Peter's for games, that collage would definitely be on the Sistine Chapel. I played around with the idea a little, but realized that the characters and scenes are too separated, which goes against my multi-figure learning objectives.

The sketch is so rough, that you probably can't tell what's going on
I then proceed to experiment with placing characters like how a Marvel comic book cover would. In this way, I was able to divide and break out the page into individual episodes where I can place different groups of characters together. I settled on this idea, with the page consisting of the gym leaders at the left, elite 4 at the top, team rocket at the right and Ash Ketchum in the center.


I usually start a piece of artwork with very loose and sketching lines. Very often, the only person who knows what is going on in these thumbnails is myself, therefore I rarely, if ever, show these to anyone.



I then go on to refine the drawing until it is the viewer can recognize each character just by the lineart. This is the phase where I try to get all the problem solving done. It is always very difficult to try to correct drawing errors during the painting stage, so I try to minimize that by doing a very clean sketch.


Next, I do a quick color test, slapping in tones to suggest the where the lighting is coming from. I switch back and forth constantly between color and grayscale to check on the tonal values. I also keep another window of the artwork, displaying at a smaller resolution, at the side of the screen to make sure that the entire composition reads. This is important as there are many characters present here, and I want to make sure that Ash is always the center of attention.

And finally, the finished piece
This piece took me more than 40 hours from conception to final realization. While it did not turn out nearly as epic as I would have imagines, I am still quite happy with the results. Next time: All 600+ Pokemons!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Great work! I was wondering if you could give me an idea of the kind of brushes you use for this style of painting. It is not quite airbrushes, but not hard brushes, either. I can't seem to figure out the perfect brush/brush settings for this clean look. I really appreciate your advice!

    Thank you so much, and again, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    For this piece I generally work with the standard no. 19 round brush. I also throw in the airbrush on a few occasions to soften things up. Achieving the 'clean look' with standard round brush requires quite a bit of effort in blending, so you have to keep that in mind.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your coloring technique to be fascinating. The strokes are blended very well but still keeps the quality as if it was cell shaded. I can see the feathering on the edges of each color but it's kept to a minimum and I like that style the best for my preferences. I find that if the colors are too hard on the edges, it makes the picture flat for me.
    I am curious on what you do to maintain the quality of your line work. I myself am having a hard time with that area when it comes to digital inking, even though I have an Intuos 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thanks for the kind comments.

      My general practise is that I will do multiple quick sketches before making the final inking. The 1st 3 drawings on the blog post are examples of those loose quick thumbnails. Once I am confident of the composition, I then make the final line art. It's true that the feeling of drawing on a tablet is different from drawing on paper, but here are a few tips:
      1) Have ample space on your table so that you can rest your forearm on it. Your elbow can act as a pivot to do smooth curves.
      2) Do not hesitate when drawing lines. Very often, a quick stroke will provide smoother results.
      3) Zoom out if you are drawing a long stroke.
      4) When doing line work, always try to vary the line quality. Thin lines soften the image and is best used for smooth areas like chin, boobs, hips etc. Bold lines are usually used at the 'ends' or the 'corners' like elbow, armpits, knee etc.

      Delete