Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Later Half of Fall 2011

The character design took a 180 degree turn in terms of style in the later half of the semester. We were supposed to design more animate-able characters. The 1st assignment was to design 2 creatures.

I wanted to do something Beatles inspired. Their music referenced several animals, ranging from birds to raccoon. I picked the walrus and octopus to work on. I reverted to a more traditional approach for the thumbnailing process, choosing to do it with pen on paper rather than digitally. For the final illustration, I tried to mimic the style of Serge Birault (a.k.a Papaninja); especially his technique of rendering slimy smooth surfaces.


The 2nd assignment was to create cartoon/caricature characters. I decided to concentrate mainly on creating caricatures of people that I know personally. Again, I did the thumbnails using pen on paper and eventually my drawing of my lecturers as rock stars was chosen. The guitar that the left character (my animation lecturer) is holding proved to be a new challenge for me as I don't usually draw hard surfaced objects. Overall I am very happy with how this piece turned out.


For the final assignment, we were given the choice of either doing a massive illustration which featured the 3 characters from the earlier half of the semester or the 4 stylized characters from the later half. I decided to go back to more familiar grounds with the earlier half. For this illustration, I wanted to really add a lot of drama, through the use of lighting and texture. I also wanted to fully flash out on the details that wasn't present on the earlier versions of the same characters. This one took a good 30+ hours.


Next up, matte painting class. The 2nd assignment was to construct a Chinese city in a fantasy setting. The emphasis was to create something that was out of this world. I went with flying junks and colorful clouds. I'm not really happy with this painting, as compared to my previous Indian city one.


The 3rd assignment was to create a futuristic city. The lecturer made it clear that he wanted futuristic, not sci-fi; the difference being that one was plausible in the near future. While not a huge fan of the sci-fi theme myself, I do follow Feng Zhu's youtube channel and that proved to be very helpful during this assignment. I wanted to do something different, something that was more painterly than my previous 2 efforts. I still used photo plates as reference, but I tried to paint-over them as much as possible.


For the final assignment, we had to create a short video of an environment, similar to this one I did back in my polytechnic days. Following the success of the previous assignment, I decided to stick closely to the painterly style. We were free to choose our own themes for the finals and luckily for me, I stumbled upon the 'Spirited Away' artbook in my school's library that day. I was immediately sold on the idea of creating an environment that would fit right into the movie.

As I already did one similar matte painting video in the past, I wanted to seek new challenges for this assignment. I tried to integrate 3D into the workflow, using 3DSMax for the river and lantern simulation. It turned out to be quite an easy process, with the help of a plugin modifier called Houdini Ocean.



Besides the above 2 classes, I also took a number of other classes during this semester. One of which was Flash. I won't go into the details of how much I hated Flash (I'm just glad its over) but here's the final animation that was created by myself:


Fall 2011 has been quite a relaxed semester (for Digipen's standards) and thus I was able to be engaged in several other projects. One of which was 'Flip's Adventures'. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment